Konkan has a vast coastline of 720 Kms and along this coastline stand the richness of Konkan’s heritage in the form of strong water forts. One such important fort is the Suvarnadurg fort in Dapoli district.
Suvarnadurg fort was built in the 16th century during the rule of emperor Adilshah. In 1660, Shivaji maharaj defeated Adilshah the second and added this fort to the Maratha empire. In the year1688, after the death of Shivaji Maharaj, Maharaj Rajaram appointed Sarkhel Kanhoji Aangre as the authority over this fort. This fort was a headquarter to the great soldier Kanhoji Aangre who was known as the Shivaji of the sea. From Kanhoji to Tulaji, this fort remained under the command and control of the Aangre family. In the year 1755, this fort came under the rule of the Peshwas and later, under the British in the year 1818. This fort continued to be under the British until Independence.